Saturday, August 8, 2015

New Hymn, "Hallelujah!"


As always, this hymn will be available, for a limited time, to be played on MuseScore.
You might think that any piece titled as is the hymn for today must be an effusion of joy. You would be wrong. Take the context of the scripture passage cited by the hymn for today as an example. That psalm actually begins, “As the hart pants for streams of water, so my soul longs after Thee, oh God!” This is no shout of joy, but a begging for it. It is of the soul feeling bereft of Heaven’s joy, and seeking hard after it, that the sons of Korah write; it is not a celebration, but a plea: “Lord! Oh Heavenly God! Bring Thy joy to me!”. The author even rebukes his own quailing heart, writing, “Trust in God, for I shall yet praise Him who is my salvation!”
Not for God only, though, does my heart cry, but for those whom my heart loves who have separated themselves from me by their lack of trust, that though I do often misinterpret, I do indeed hear directly from the Lord. Such times do not happen frequently, but they do happen, and these past nine months seem to have been such a time. From the autumn, when the Lord required of me whether I would accept or reject His gift, to the 7th day of the 7th month of the 14th year of my solo sojourn when, with no advance knowledge or anticipation, the first hints of the gift’s arrival came, and I, in my excitement, alienated those whom I had held close because what came was not something that they were prepared to accept, with me, perhaps, stepping a little beyond the command to “wait for her.”
To put it in the terms of the modern hymn, “As the deer panteth for the water so my soul longeth after Thee!” When the resisting wall was thrown up by those not fully trusting, I fled to the arms of my Savior, Jesus Christ, and my heart cries out after those who have not believed.
A long time ago, when I was among those whose hearts were inclined to trusting the unsettling things of God, a single mother prayed for God to give her a husband and I, in the silence of my heart’s prayers, agreed, God answering, “I already have!” The following Sunday found me in the rear of the sanctuary of the congregation with which I then attended. I stood at the rear because the service had already begun and I could not yet see a chair open and waiting, when the Spirit of God put His arm across my shoulders and, with the other, pointed to the front of the sanctuary, saying in my spirit, “That’s him!”
I shared the moment with two faithful witnesses and, in a short time, I went to the Wednesday Bible Study in that small home in Illinois to find that the witness whom I had told that was part of that study was away on a trip of some kind when there was an announcement. I kept silent as his Lady phoned him with the news. Before she could even get it out of her mouth, he told her the news, that Laura was getting married to Ed. “What?!? How did you know that?” was his lady’s reply.
He answered her, “God told Bill and Bill told me.”
Those who purport to follow God, though, are not always consistent in their trust and praise, and Laura fled the gift from God, rather than cling to Him in full, trusting obedience and faith. If you doubt me, then ask Ed, who can be found through praybold.org. The one faithfully bringing the message should not be blamed for the dearth of faith found in those who hear.
I, though, must wait for God to work upon the hearts of those who flee.
Am I angry?
Yes.
Am I frustrated?
Yes.
Do I trust God?
YES!
When, though, will they?
I must wait for the healer of hearts to heal.
Wait here.”
“Right here?”
Right on this spot.”


Yes, Lord. Here I wait. But I could use a little joy while I obey. Amen!